Skip to main content

N then again

In this era of the internet, a lot of our communication and relationships rely on being online. But thankfully, most of such relationships of mine have been with people I know in real life so it was relatively easy to continue conversations off of online. One person I used to regularly talk to from the beginning of our friendship was F. I have mentioned him briefly before. We belong to the part of the same extended group of friends. And somehow we hit it off (somehow being the keyword) from the time we met. We met on a trip all of us went to eleven years ago. I did not keep in touch with or converse with a lot of people from that group, I was not my best version when I went on that trip so I knew the ones that remained afterwards were going to be there for the long run.

If you know me, you have heard about the trip.  Also, we have established by now that I do not completely get people but go by my emotions towards them. I don't get attached easily but when I do, not let go easily. Quiet people are more fascinating than the ones that talk like I do. Especially if such quiet ones talk to me. He was the one who gave me the nickname that has stuck all these years (which in hindsight maybe as a 23-year old I should have minded, but I was not offended back then and I am not offended now). Nicknames are usually terms of endearment to me and probably that is why I didn't mind.

And as I mentioned earlier, we used to regularly talk online. It was nothing important. It used to be mundane things like 'How is your day'.And this continued to more random conversations some times. After a year a two, I knew some things about him which I still think are true. He is not the most generous. He is very loyal. He is indifferent. He loved someone and does not like talking about it. He loves meat. He considers friends' significant others important even when he does not like them. This last bit I know because his friend and my friend are now married. I feel the same way about my friend's SO as he feels about my friend. And I know this because he told me. But he never let the rest of the group know he felt. (I have not been so subtle)

By then I honestly thought we were friends. Not the closest of ones but steady ones. And then it happened. He stopped talking to me. Five years of conversations, getting to know each other apparently meant nothing. That part of me who tries and tries again asked. No reply. The indifference came into play. The distance grew. It helped that I was cleaning up a lot of my baggage around the same time so although it hurt, I was able to let go of it. We did run into each other on three different occasions after that but I carefully avoided him, Because I knew well enough by then that I did not mean a thing in his life. I did wish him for his birthdays for a couple more years because I am that person who does that. I tried to get things back to what was our normal but well gave up. 

And then the day before yesterday a friend from the same group and his wife invited me to their house for a function. The friend's wife told me that other friends would be coming too and went on to mention F too. And I told her, umm I haven't spoken to him in years now. And she says (Without getting the tone or content of what I was saying) and said 'Oh great then you can catch up with him'. Sigh. Nice people are so unaware. 

I had my share of awkward for the year or so I thought until I reached the function. Once I got there, F told the couple that he could not make it. And then after convincing, he came. And because I have been quiet about the whole thing, the friend's wife was enthusiastically trying to get us to sit together so that we could catch up. But at least the couple was with us the whole time. Before I could get comfortable, F and I were in the same room. Alone. My phone became my new friend. And then he started talking to me. 

Him: How are you?
Me: I am good.
 How are you?
Him: Good...umm okay okay (I don't know if he remembered our old joke or it has just become a habit now)
Did you buy that rice wine?'  (Me: Ehh what is he saying?) 
That one which PoPa gave. It was bad.No one liked it.
Me: I gave it to PoPa because she liked it the first time I bought it for her.
Him: It was bad
Me: Well I told her to share it with N. I even gave them Soju.

Enter N's parents and F saying 'Okay hush'

Then he asked me when did you come back. I told him. And then I asked him when he had come (I forget that someone else had mentioned it to me) . I asked him how was Indore? I heard the street food is good

Him: Yes. All vegetarian. They put sev on everything. They have sev on pizza.
Me: Well better sev than sweet potato or pumpkin on and in pizza.

And then thankfully for both of us, the couple joined and we all got out. The rest of the conversations that happened that evening/night was ragging the poor friend who had invited us. And he is a good sport so was cool about it. But the whole experience (I have omitted some parts of the evening or conversation) made me think about how relationships can fade. And that makes me even more thankful for the ones that stay. And I cannot see the future, but I don't know where this friendship will go from here. Probably nowhere. But I will always have those happy memories, like the first-ever one. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ni sultana rey,TAG ka mausam aaaya!

Daakiya tag laya ..tag laya Here Daakiya being Freezone . Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions Don't know about clever,But here goes! I choose: Kishore Kumar (Humko tumse hogaya hai pyaar kya karen!) 1. Are you a male or female: Dreamgirl (Frozone SAME PINCH :D) 2. Describe yourself: Dil aaj Shayar Hai 3. How do you feel about yourself: Main hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo/Musafir hoon yaaron 4. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Aisa kabhi hua nahi 5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Meet na mila re 6. Describe your current location: Nadiya se Dariya 7. Describe where you want to be: Kahin door jab din dal jaye 9. Your favorite color is: Neeley Neeley Ambar 10. You know : Yeh Jeevan Hai/ Har koi Chahta hai ek mutti aasman 11. What’s the weather like: Sama hai suhana 12. If your life was a television show what would it be called: Paanch rupaiya, barah aana/Koi Roko na 13. What is life to you: Zindagi ek safar hai suhana/Chalte Chal...

Sicut Apis Operosa

Many more may come by this name: This being the first: Games we played at school Mud and Stone Red letter Word Elastic Seven Stones Five stones Soup macaroni farooni (...ham a cheese...ham a cheese...ham and sauce potato chip chip chip) London Statue I sent a letter to my father Chinese Knot Lock and Key Blind Man's Bluff Chits (this had various categories....Police chor etc etc) Name Place Animal Thing Poles Oranges and Lemons As we walk Cycling on school premises Jungle Jim (of course not forever...but still) Running and catching (tag for other people) Boxes(Dots) Tic Tac To Then there was Jolly Statue (Ring a ring a roses is in another category. ..i wonder whether the tradition of doing this in 10th classes on one of the last days still exits!! :) ) ......these are all i can remember right now

What should i do?tell (or dont)

See its like this,i've known her forever, whenever i've made references to her on this blog she's known it, after four years i'll be seeing some people who are a special part of my life, i would like to spend new years atleast this year with her....atleast this year... i wont and cannot tell her this to her face,she will get offended,she may not udnerstand my viewpoint, she will expect it of me,but wont get my view point still....... birthday,eve,n.yr...its ok if she's not there for mine....but i know what is going to happen.... though i cant help it...i will feel bad..... atb to her and all the goodness in the world. they'll not be that four again its true.... P.S:to her,please dont ask me about this.