Skip to main content

Musical-nostalgia tripping

Over the years I have learnt to keep music sacred from going into a dark place that relationships or even people often go to. What do I mean by that? Like many people I associate some songs or type of music with certain people. And life is hard so you lose a lot of people both intentionally and unintentionally. (I had written about associating certain songs to certain people a long time ago but this has come to be a deeper entity in life.) 

Yes, I realise I am going cryptic. Let me try to get this across in better words using real life examples.

The OST of Trolls by Justin Timberlake, while I did know the song before going to Noraebangs with an erstwhile friend. I associated this song with her because she did such a good job singing it for a person who wasn't entirely fluent in spoken English. So we always sang it when we went to Noraebangs together. It was hilarious because I didn't know half the tune initially and we just sang along. And this was partly the reason we initially sang it so many times, to get the tune right. And the lyrics. I still like the song although that friendship no longer exists. Similar Noraebang story, another friend (who just vanished so I always hope the best for her and hope she is well) and me always always sang these two songs (this and this) even though they confused us so much because they have such a similar tune/rhythm. Until we decided that we should just sing one of those each time we go to sing. Additioanlly, the first song is from a movie only she and I had watched in our class but we didn't mind watching it with the rest of the class. And the second song, thanks to this friend, I sang on stage after fifteen years. It was fun. (Four of us had solos of small parts and the chorus was sung along with the class that followed each of us, the rest of the three lead singers sing well so it was not as easy to sing with them). Both the songs have very pretty lyrics too. (I could write entire posts about them but I mostly won't do that.)

Then there are instances where the music stays even though the person who introduced that into your life isn't part of you life anymore. Like a cousin who introduced to me to a lot of Hindi black and white tracks. Similarly, there is a nostalgia Bengali track which I know because another person I was close to at that point described to me. He described it so much that I recognised it on another friend's computer and I knew it was the same song. He couldn't find it that time and I sent it to him from the said friend's place (or maybe later). But that song grew on me. It speaks of people that live in places in your past (and don't anymore). It is one of those sad nostalgia songs.

Then there was someone, who doesn't matter anymore not even in my memories because well I learnt a lot thanks to him. A little too late maybe. We connected over knowing one song. A version of one song. I knew he was proud of his voice the day I met him and that's where I gave him his nickname from. He had a great voice. But not a great soul I guess. (Humans are selfish like that, if someone did wrong by you, we judge them) But whether it is a good thing or a bad thing, I remember him once every few times I listen to Farida Khanum's Aaj jaane ki zid na karo. The song has some of my all time favourite lyrics 'Waqt ki qaid mein zindagi hai magar, chand ghadiyan yahin hai jo aazad hai, inko khokar meri janejan,umrbhar na taraste raho'.

And last but definitely not the least Ammamma who sang lullabies to all her grandchildren. Raama laali (but in a tune that I cannot find on youtube) and Jo achyuthananda. Music to my ears.
Not to sound like the Captain from 'The Sound of Music' but I am grateful that they brought music into my life. Whether or not I knew the song before them, these songs will always keep a good side of them in my heart. It helps me heal the hurt and keep the calm memories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ni sultana rey,TAG ka mausam aaaya!

Daakiya tag laya ..tag laya Here Daakiya being Freezone . Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions Don't know about clever,But here goes! I choose: Kishore Kumar (Humko tumse hogaya hai pyaar kya karen!) 1. Are you a male or female: Dreamgirl (Frozone SAME PINCH :D) 2. Describe yourself: Dil aaj Shayar Hai 3. How do you feel about yourself: Main hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo/Musafir hoon yaaron 4. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Aisa kabhi hua nahi 5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Meet na mila re 6. Describe your current location: Nadiya se Dariya 7. Describe where you want to be: Kahin door jab din dal jaye 9. Your favorite color is: Neeley Neeley Ambar 10. You know : Yeh Jeevan Hai/ Har koi Chahta hai ek mutti aasman 11. What’s the weather like: Sama hai suhana 12. If your life was a television show what would it be called: Paanch rupaiya, barah aana/Koi Roko na 13. What is life to you: Zindagi ek safar hai suhana/Chalte Chal...

Sicut Apis Operosa

Many more may come by this name: This being the first: Games we played at school Mud and Stone Red letter Word Elastic Seven Stones Five stones Soup macaroni farooni (...ham a cheese...ham a cheese...ham and sauce potato chip chip chip) London Statue I sent a letter to my father Chinese Knot Lock and Key Blind Man's Bluff Chits (this had various categories....Police chor etc etc) Name Place Animal Thing Poles Oranges and Lemons As we walk Cycling on school premises Jungle Jim (of course not forever...but still) Running and catching (tag for other people) Boxes(Dots) Tic Tac To Then there was Jolly Statue (Ring a ring a roses is in another category. ..i wonder whether the tradition of doing this in 10th classes on one of the last days still exits!! :) ) ......these are all i can remember right now

What should i do?tell (or dont)

See its like this,i've known her forever, whenever i've made references to her on this blog she's known it, after four years i'll be seeing some people who are a special part of my life, i would like to spend new years atleast this year with her....atleast this year... i wont and cannot tell her this to her face,she will get offended,she may not udnerstand my viewpoint, she will expect it of me,but wont get my view point still....... birthday,eve,n.yr...its ok if she's not there for mine....but i know what is going to happen.... though i cant help it...i will feel bad..... atb to her and all the goodness in the world. they'll not be that four again its true.... P.S:to her,please dont ask me about this.