Skip to main content

G'ri and a story from almost 19 years ago.

I was washing my hands a while ago. And as usual I was humming a song. But unusually, it was something I have definitely not watched for more than 16 years now. I don't think I watched it after we moved to this flat 16 years ago.
How many of you ordered things online back then? In India? I was an oddball obsessed with 'googling' before the term existed, thanks to my equally obsessed sister i also 'Bearshared' (if you have to look that up a) You are very young b) You are much older c)You did not use the internet. We got our first dial up connection with our first personal computer. It wasn't the first time I was using a computer or internet, but having it at home was a different ballgame. And it was placed perfectly beside a window, like most desks/tables should be. The computer was so 'cool' that we were given covers to change for the CPU, in two different colours. (Probably even for the speakers). I remember the exact date the computer came home. It became a fixture at our house.

I did all kinds of things on the computer when it was my turn, painted, played games (including rather violent ones that came free with it) and also realised that pop-ups can be awfully disgusting (so grateful for ad-blocks etc.) I also started blogging and sitting beside my sister when she coded her blog layouts. We also had msn messenger and AOL (oh goodness AOL, have not thought about that for a while now). Yahoo was not an 'in' thing for probably two years more.

And another thing I did and continued to do was buy things online. Someone delivery charges weren't as bad as now. One of the things I bought enthusiastically, because our computer had a CD player was a VCD that I could watch with my cutiepie nephew. And that was Asterix and Cleopatra. I am pretty sure I bought it from rediff and I am also pretty sure that I paid about 99 rupees for it (and maybe 10 rupees extra). I used my mom's credit card for it and I was delighted that it actually arrived by courier (and was not a scam).

The song I mention at the beginning of this is from that particular VCD. While I was humming it in my head, I wondered if it was on YT! And voila! It is!And I must honestly admit, I did not know that it was originally a French movie (although I should have guessed). But its funny how memories stay with you and bring a smile on your face. I used watch couple of parts a lot with my nephew because he use to laugh so much when he saw those bits. And we would hum the song together. I miss him. I miss our time together.  Now he is all grown up, away in college. I have not seen him for years now and I wonder if he shares the same memories of us that I do.

But this video, like other photographs bring a smile to my face. And a longing to my heart.

'Cleopatra's lion is here, king of all the beasts is here...'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ni sultana rey,TAG ka mausam aaaya!

Daakiya tag laya ..tag laya Here Daakiya being Freezone . Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions Don't know about clever,But here goes! I choose: Kishore Kumar (Humko tumse hogaya hai pyaar kya karen!) 1. Are you a male or female: Dreamgirl (Frozone SAME PINCH :D) 2. Describe yourself: Dil aaj Shayar Hai 3. How do you feel about yourself: Main hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo/Musafir hoon yaaron 4. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Aisa kabhi hua nahi 5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Meet na mila re 6. Describe your current location: Nadiya se Dariya 7. Describe where you want to be: Kahin door jab din dal jaye 9. Your favorite color is: Neeley Neeley Ambar 10. You know : Yeh Jeevan Hai/ Har koi Chahta hai ek mutti aasman 11. What’s the weather like: Sama hai suhana 12. If your life was a television show what would it be called: Paanch rupaiya, barah aana/Koi Roko na 13. What is life to you: Zindagi ek safar hai suhana/Chalte Chal...

Sicut Apis Operosa

Many more may come by this name: This being the first: Games we played at school Mud and Stone Red letter Word Elastic Seven Stones Five stones Soup macaroni farooni (...ham a cheese...ham a cheese...ham and sauce potato chip chip chip) London Statue I sent a letter to my father Chinese Knot Lock and Key Blind Man's Bluff Chits (this had various categories....Police chor etc etc) Name Place Animal Thing Poles Oranges and Lemons As we walk Cycling on school premises Jungle Jim (of course not forever...but still) Running and catching (tag for other people) Boxes(Dots) Tic Tac To Then there was Jolly Statue (Ring a ring a roses is in another category. ..i wonder whether the tradition of doing this in 10th classes on one of the last days still exits!! :) ) ......these are all i can remember right now

What should i do?tell (or dont)

See its like this,i've known her forever, whenever i've made references to her on this blog she's known it, after four years i'll be seeing some people who are a special part of my life, i would like to spend new years atleast this year with her....atleast this year... i wont and cannot tell her this to her face,she will get offended,she may not udnerstand my viewpoint, she will expect it of me,but wont get my view point still....... birthday,eve,n.yr...its ok if she's not there for mine....but i know what is going to happen.... though i cant help it...i will feel bad..... atb to her and all the goodness in the world. they'll not be that four again its true.... P.S:to her,please dont ask me about this.