Skip to main content

Words of wisdom

A little over eighteen years ago, a couple of schoolmates and I who were in the same junior college had to go to school to collect our certificates. We were very excited to go back. Firstly, because we all missed school and secondly, we did not particularly like our junior college and since it was official work, we had gotten permission to go to college late that day. Apart from collecting our certificates, we roamed around a bit and decided that if the Principal was available, we would drop in to say hi to her. I went to the same school right from my kindergarten to my tenth class. And all through we had nuns as principals, in their older attire adapted from the Italian founders of the school. (Okay this part has no relevance to this particular story but I write as I visualise the scene so excuse me for that deviation).
Thankfully for us, Sr. Monica (our Principal at that time) was around and welcomed us to her office. I was there with one friend from school and another girl whom I knew for a long time but we hadn't been friends for long at that point. We spoke about the changes both good and bad (I'm guessing it would have been something on the lines of 'uniform vs no uniform', 'all girls vs co-ed', 'near vs far' and so on.). But among everything that we spoke about, Sr. (for those who don't know Sr. here means sister as in a nun and not senior) said one thing that has stayed with me. She told us, 'always remain in touch, be friends with your school friends. They will be the ones who knew you before you grew up and changed. They will remind you who you are. And be a connection.'
I understand that for some people childhood experiences are not very pleasant, neither are school memories. I also understand that people don't get attached like I do. I had both good and bad memories from school. I learnt from both good and bad experiences. I mostly had very simple friends in school. Well, our 'lunch' circle anyways. I did as ever have friends from 'the cool gangs' (yes, out school had them too. I had a prefect friend, a bully friend, a 'cool' friend (Fine, the bully and cool friend were the same girl and she didn't bully me), a studious friend, a film crazy friend. (read: Hrithik Roshan crazy) This was apart from the four lunch gang friends. The lunch gang friends, like any other gang of friends I have a friend I am closer to than I am with the others. But knowing them, I realise how far we all have come along. How much we have changed and how much of our core personalities have remained constant. Even though we do not talk often, or know each other as well as at certain points in life and in cases of some friends, don't even meet often. I am thankful for their existence because it allows me to evaluate my own self.

Thank you Sr. Monica for those words of wisdom all those years ago. And I am thankful that I actually paid attention and listened to you.
:)

Comments

what a freaky, freaky coincidence! this is freak of the highest order.

a little while(read 15-20 minutes) ago i actually thought of recommending this tam movie called 96 to you wondering whether you will relate to it, and i actually had a mental conversation with you regarding this.

and now i 20 minutes later, i get to read this.

holy! :)
Anonymous said…
:) I saw the trailer of the movie. Thank you for reminding me to watch it.
-AG

Popular posts from this blog

Ni sultana rey,TAG ka mausam aaaya!

Daakiya tag laya ..tag laya Here Daakiya being Freezone . Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions Don't know about clever,But here goes! I choose: Kishore Kumar (Humko tumse hogaya hai pyaar kya karen!) 1. Are you a male or female: Dreamgirl (Frozone SAME PINCH :D) 2. Describe yourself: Dil aaj Shayar Hai 3. How do you feel about yourself: Main hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo/Musafir hoon yaaron 4. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Aisa kabhi hua nahi 5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Meet na mila re 6. Describe your current location: Nadiya se Dariya 7. Describe where you want to be: Kahin door jab din dal jaye 9. Your favorite color is: Neeley Neeley Ambar 10. You know : Yeh Jeevan Hai/ Har koi Chahta hai ek mutti aasman 11. What’s the weather like: Sama hai suhana 12. If your life was a television show what would it be called: Paanch rupaiya, barah aana/Koi Roko na 13. What is life to you: Zindagi ek safar hai suhana/Chalte Chal...

Sicut Apis Operosa

Many more may come by this name: This being the first: Games we played at school Mud and Stone Red letter Word Elastic Seven Stones Five stones Soup macaroni farooni (...ham a cheese...ham a cheese...ham and sauce potato chip chip chip) London Statue I sent a letter to my father Chinese Knot Lock and Key Blind Man's Bluff Chits (this had various categories....Police chor etc etc) Name Place Animal Thing Poles Oranges and Lemons As we walk Cycling on school premises Jungle Jim (of course not forever...but still) Running and catching (tag for other people) Boxes(Dots) Tic Tac To Then there was Jolly Statue (Ring a ring a roses is in another category. ..i wonder whether the tradition of doing this in 10th classes on one of the last days still exits!! :) ) ......these are all i can remember right now

What should i do?tell (or dont)

See its like this,i've known her forever, whenever i've made references to her on this blog she's known it, after four years i'll be seeing some people who are a special part of my life, i would like to spend new years atleast this year with her....atleast this year... i wont and cannot tell her this to her face,she will get offended,she may not udnerstand my viewpoint, she will expect it of me,but wont get my view point still....... birthday,eve,n.yr...its ok if she's not there for mine....but i know what is going to happen.... though i cant help it...i will feel bad..... atb to her and all the goodness in the world. they'll not be that four again its true.... P.S:to her,please dont ask me about this.