Skip to main content

Learning, unlearning, giving up and trying again

I do not give up easily. 
That said, I have given up things in the past. I stopped learning an instrument which I learnt for nine years as a kid but gave up because the teacher was manipulating not just me but people around me. And even though I was only fourteen, I got tired of it. And imagine, the teacher was a nun. She had her good days but she was definitely not my favourite teacher. My second teacher and fourth were my favourites (first was my sister but I she may not remember that). Sadly, I do not play that instrument anymore. I can still read notes, recognise what people play etc. but I cannot play chords, scales and all those things. Maybe if I practice I can, but genuinely I cannot. I hope to get back to it when I live at home some day. But it is lower on my list of priorities.

The next thing I quit was something I started doing when I was six and went on till I was eleven/twelve. To be fair, I did do it even before I started formally learning it. Once again, I quit because of problems with the teacher. However, it was because the teacher was being incredibly mean to my sister and I was (and would like to believe that I still am) very loyal to my sister. I did not like anyone being mean to her or anyone who troubled her or made her cry. That said, this is something I miss so much. Even though it has been ages since I gave up on it. I miss it and very few people in the world even know that I have such interests. I hope I muster up the courage and faith to go back to formal learning of this form or atleast some other form of it. I do not regret walking out of that class but I do to an extent feel bad that I never tried getting back to it (I am very conscious when it comes to my body, and that probably had to do with it)

Quitting these two times also taught me in a way that quitting may mean never having that opportunity again and therefore I do try my best not to quit. 

I am almost close to quitting something I chose to do lately but I reminded myself of these two times and I think I will not quit. Not until I absolutely must and have to.


The next part,

I always thought that we weren't taught the instrument I learnt back home very well. We were way too conventional. And even as a kid (while I was the most conventional person you could probably come across) I did not like conventional learning or teaching. An important part of conventional teaching emphasises the importance of 'not unlearning' (excuse the double negative). However, as I have learnt over the years it is absolutely important to have the ability to unlearn something and be open to a new way of learning it. This is applicable to skills, languages, instruments...just about anything. I tend to get rigid occasionally mainly because of the comfort level that familiar rules/techniques give you. But I make it a point to remember that unlearning makes you understand learning better and makes it a better lesson. This is applicable even to life.

On that note, hope you learn, unlearn, not give up and keep trying.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ni sultana rey,TAG ka mausam aaaya!

Daakiya tag laya ..tag laya Here Daakiya being Freezone . Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions Don't know about clever,But here goes! I choose: Kishore Kumar (Humko tumse hogaya hai pyaar kya karen!) 1. Are you a male or female: Dreamgirl (Frozone SAME PINCH :D) 2. Describe yourself: Dil aaj Shayar Hai 3. How do you feel about yourself: Main hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo/Musafir hoon yaaron 4. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Aisa kabhi hua nahi 5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Meet na mila re 6. Describe your current location: Nadiya se Dariya 7. Describe where you want to be: Kahin door jab din dal jaye 9. Your favorite color is: Neeley Neeley Ambar 10. You know : Yeh Jeevan Hai/ Har koi Chahta hai ek mutti aasman 11. What’s the weather like: Sama hai suhana 12. If your life was a television show what would it be called: Paanch rupaiya, barah aana/Koi Roko na 13. What is life to you: Zindagi ek safar hai suhana/Chalte Chal...

Sicut Apis Operosa

Many more may come by this name: This being the first: Games we played at school Mud and Stone Red letter Word Elastic Seven Stones Five stones Soup macaroni farooni (...ham a cheese...ham a cheese...ham and sauce potato chip chip chip) London Statue I sent a letter to my father Chinese Knot Lock and Key Blind Man's Bluff Chits (this had various categories....Police chor etc etc) Name Place Animal Thing Poles Oranges and Lemons As we walk Cycling on school premises Jungle Jim (of course not forever...but still) Running and catching (tag for other people) Boxes(Dots) Tic Tac To Then there was Jolly Statue (Ring a ring a roses is in another category. ..i wonder whether the tradition of doing this in 10th classes on one of the last days still exits!! :) ) ......these are all i can remember right now

What should i do?tell (or dont)

See its like this,i've known her forever, whenever i've made references to her on this blog she's known it, after four years i'll be seeing some people who are a special part of my life, i would like to spend new years atleast this year with her....atleast this year... i wont and cannot tell her this to her face,she will get offended,she may not udnerstand my viewpoint, she will expect it of me,but wont get my view point still....... birthday,eve,n.yr...its ok if she's not there for mine....but i know what is going to happen.... though i cant help it...i will feel bad..... atb to her and all the goodness in the world. they'll not be that four again its true.... P.S:to her,please dont ask me about this.