Skip to main content

I attract weird happenings. Period.

I was at a coffee shop with a friend of mine who is going to be in town till the end of next month. And we were just catching up. I was telling her about my mad nomad life for the past two years. And she was telling me about my old department. We had barely started talking when this tall girl approached us very politely and asked if I was Indian. And that was a start of a conversation that was close to half an hour long. She was thankfully neither creepy nor did she seem to have ulterior motives (like converting/saving me from going hell). She spoke about how she missed having Indians around and the Indian aunty in her neighbourhood who baby sat all the kids of the neighbourhood at some point or the other. She spoke about her Muslim father and how relieved he was that she hung out with Indian friends (especially in terms of food. Yes I experience this myself when my friends who look for halal see me eat something and decide that if I can eat it, they can too.). She also asked me and my friend whether we knew any places she could get her eyebrows threaded because she was only used to doing that since she was fifteen. And we had to break it to her that any 'beauty parlour' visits here were extremely (and pointlessly) expensive. Being the lazy person myself I couldn't help her too much. She had Malayalee friends at her previous work place and she was talking about how she missed them too (or was it just one friend?). Then she asked where she could get 'chai' and not the 'chai lattes' they sold at coffee shops. I told her about the usual Indian (Mughlai cuisine basically) place near campus where the tea is pretty good (although, again very expensive). I do eat at the place myself whenever I crave food and don't want to/can't cook myself. Ultimately this girl, coming from the South of USA, a person of colour, a person of different faith did not make the entire interaction as bad as it could have been if the person was annoying in anyway. But strangely enough, right after she left, we got up too because I wanted to show my friend around and we looked at where this girl should have been, but poof she was gone. Its funny these encounters I keep having. I intend to write about them all (well a lot of them make it to my diary atleast in bullet points or mentions) but I keep doing other things once I switch on my laptop (instead of blogging, which I enjoy when I do get down to it).

PS: My boiler/heater got fixed on Wednesday :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ni sultana rey,TAG ka mausam aaaya!

Daakiya tag laya ..tag laya Here Daakiya being Freezone . Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions Don't know about clever,But here goes! I choose: Kishore Kumar (Humko tumse hogaya hai pyaar kya karen!) 1. Are you a male or female: Dreamgirl (Frozone SAME PINCH :D) 2. Describe yourself: Dil aaj Shayar Hai 3. How do you feel about yourself: Main hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo/Musafir hoon yaaron 4. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Aisa kabhi hua nahi 5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Meet na mila re 6. Describe your current location: Nadiya se Dariya 7. Describe where you want to be: Kahin door jab din dal jaye 9. Your favorite color is: Neeley Neeley Ambar 10. You know : Yeh Jeevan Hai/ Har koi Chahta hai ek mutti aasman 11. What’s the weather like: Sama hai suhana 12. If your life was a television show what would it be called: Paanch rupaiya, barah aana/Koi Roko na 13. What is life to you: Zindagi ek safar hai suhana/Chalte Chal...

Sicut Apis Operosa

Many more may come by this name: This being the first: Games we played at school Mud and Stone Red letter Word Elastic Seven Stones Five stones Soup macaroni farooni (...ham a cheese...ham a cheese...ham and sauce potato chip chip chip) London Statue I sent a letter to my father Chinese Knot Lock and Key Blind Man's Bluff Chits (this had various categories....Police chor etc etc) Name Place Animal Thing Poles Oranges and Lemons As we walk Cycling on school premises Jungle Jim (of course not forever...but still) Running and catching (tag for other people) Boxes(Dots) Tic Tac To Then there was Jolly Statue (Ring a ring a roses is in another category. ..i wonder whether the tradition of doing this in 10th classes on one of the last days still exits!! :) ) ......these are all i can remember right now

What should i do?tell (or dont)

See its like this,i've known her forever, whenever i've made references to her on this blog she's known it, after four years i'll be seeing some people who are a special part of my life, i would like to spend new years atleast this year with her....atleast this year... i wont and cannot tell her this to her face,she will get offended,she may not udnerstand my viewpoint, she will expect it of me,but wont get my view point still....... birthday,eve,n.yr...its ok if she's not there for mine....but i know what is going to happen.... though i cant help it...i will feel bad..... atb to her and all the goodness in the world. they'll not be that four again its true.... P.S:to her,please dont ask me about this.