I dislike waiting for people. Immensely. I was probably not that bad initially but I have come to realise that it is easily one of my least favourite things. And inevitably people who make me wait lose points on the respect and reliability scale. Sadly most of my close friends have always, always made me wait. Although I do half one or two friends like that even here, it holds true especially in my home city. Unless something really unfortunate and out of control happens, I try my best to be on time (talking about my current self). And my favourite people here have that one thing in common, they are on time. And in fact sometimes even early. To the point that it is a joke among some of us because we keep reaching places way ahead of time.
Now to the hurrying part, I used to 'hurry' to meet people (getting ready, literally running out of the house etc). But only once, I hurried to travel thirty kilometres to surprise a friend and meet him for five minutes or so (it was a send off). A classmate at that time had pointed out that she had never seen me 'hurry' to meet anyone that way. Talk about words having an effect on you. Those words were said over ten years ago and I got reminded of this recently. I had to meet a friend at 1p.m. last Thursday. This friend informs me/us even if he is late by five minutes (yes, he is super finicky about hazaar other things but still, being considerate about someone else's time is a nice thing to do). And I got out accordingly. By the time i left my place, the friend had reached university. I felt so anxious, I dislike making people wait (unless I do it on purpose) and midway I remembered the story from all that while back. And realised that it was at that point all those years ago, that I had decided not to 'hurry' for people unless it was an emergency. I reached a little before the time we were supposed to meet but still, I realised that being on time is such an important 'check' for me. I should probably hang out with more Germans, merely because I have yet to meet a German who has ever been late.
Comments