Skip to main content

K for Kakching

As most people who know me know, I love travelling. It is a fantastic experience to go to new places or even revisit places and meet new or even old friends. A couple of years ago I travelled to Manipur along with Miti to visit our common friend Sanjee and an added bonus was to meet Roma.

After spending close to twenty four hours on four chairs in the extremely crowded and pretty dirty Kolkata airport; After eating at almost all the stalls and knowing every accessible corner there, we left the place (Miti did a detour and reached a couple of days after me). The flight to Imphal was one of those small toyish aeroplanes (I think they are called ATRs). And it was pretty decent. Once I reached there, the minute I was walking (yes, just like Hubli and other small cute airports you get to walk directly from the flight to the baggage claim) I could see Sanjee outside the airport. I'll never forget the experience, it felt awesome, just out of an old black and white Telugu movie, where the hero comes from 'foreign' and people come to receive him as soon as he gets off the flight.

And then I met Bruce. Bruce is nickname (his actual name is something like Jaikishan I think, I could be absolutely wrong). Bruce was our official chauffeur for the next few days and did a fantastic job, not just driving us around but also  tolerating our craziness.

However, he was not there for the Kakching leg of the journey which I am mainly writing about (No post about our Manipur trip would be complete without mentioning Bruce, who was in-charge of the beginning of our trip)

Kakching is around 50-60kms from Imphal, in the Thoubal district of Manipur. My favourite part of Manipur was a lovely garden we went to, which had a Shiva temple uphill. The lane that led to it was decorated with colourful prayer flags, so serene. And the view of the town from this hill is soothing. And most importantly, the priests are women.
And like most other places in Manipur, Kakching has the usual Ima Market (a market where only women are shopkeepers, just plain brilliant).We stopped at Kakching's Ima Market on our way home (yes I know I am saying home) and bought flat rice cakes made of black rice. There were one of the most addictive eatables I ever laid my hand (and tastebuds) on. Mildly sweet, with almost no oil whatsoever. Perfect.

This particular road trip will remain my favourite for a long time. I would like to go back some day and spend a lot more time in Manipur, and frankly it is one of those places that I can never tire talking about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ni sultana rey,TAG ka mausam aaaya!

Daakiya tag laya ..tag laya Here Daakiya being Freezone . Using only song *titles* from one artist, cleverly answer these questions Don't know about clever,But here goes! I choose: Kishore Kumar (Humko tumse hogaya hai pyaar kya karen!) 1. Are you a male or female: Dreamgirl (Frozone SAME PINCH :D) 2. Describe yourself: Dil aaj Shayar Hai 3. How do you feel about yourself: Main hoon Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhum Jhumroo/Musafir hoon yaaron 4. Describe your ex boyfriend/girlfriend: Aisa kabhi hua nahi 5. Describe your current boy/girl situation: Meet na mila re 6. Describe your current location: Nadiya se Dariya 7. Describe where you want to be: Kahin door jab din dal jaye 9. Your favorite color is: Neeley Neeley Ambar 10. You know : Yeh Jeevan Hai/ Har koi Chahta hai ek mutti aasman 11. What’s the weather like: Sama hai suhana 12. If your life was a television show what would it be called: Paanch rupaiya, barah aana/Koi Roko na 13. What is life to you: Zindagi ek safar hai suhana/Chalte Chal...

Sicut Apis Operosa

Many more may come by this name: This being the first: Games we played at school Mud and Stone Red letter Word Elastic Seven Stones Five stones Soup macaroni farooni (...ham a cheese...ham a cheese...ham and sauce potato chip chip chip) London Statue I sent a letter to my father Chinese Knot Lock and Key Blind Man's Bluff Chits (this had various categories....Police chor etc etc) Name Place Animal Thing Poles Oranges and Lemons As we walk Cycling on school premises Jungle Jim (of course not forever...but still) Running and catching (tag for other people) Boxes(Dots) Tic Tac To Then there was Jolly Statue (Ring a ring a roses is in another category. ..i wonder whether the tradition of doing this in 10th classes on one of the last days still exits!! :) ) ......these are all i can remember right now

What should i do?tell (or dont)

See its like this,i've known her forever, whenever i've made references to her on this blog she's known it, after four years i'll be seeing some people who are a special part of my life, i would like to spend new years atleast this year with her....atleast this year... i wont and cannot tell her this to her face,she will get offended,she may not udnerstand my viewpoint, she will expect it of me,but wont get my view point still....... birthday,eve,n.yr...its ok if she's not there for mine....but i know what is going to happen.... though i cant help it...i will feel bad..... atb to her and all the goodness in the world. they'll not be that four again its true.... P.S:to her,please dont ask me about this.