No blogger,I still do not want to accept that you are a part of gmail/google.
NO!
My word of the day is 'weltanschauung' (means a comprehensive world view).
I read 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' when I was in middle school.I loved the book.This was around the time my sister and me had bunk beds (My dad actually made them by connected two old styles beds,yes,my dad is that kind of crazy.And sadly for my sister and me,my dad never believed in things looking nice,he only believed in 'they work just fine'.I like the 'they work just fine part,but I like things to look cute/nice too.).But truthfully,I loved having a double decker bed! But unfortunately, we hardly got to keep them that way for too long,because I fell ill.And by the time I came back home after living with Ammamma for many many months and probably since I wasn't supposed to get physically exhausted the era of the ddb was over.I still dream of having them for my kids and then probably using them myself.
Anyways I as usual am connecting dots of thoughts to trace other memories.So yes, Uncle Tom's Cabin.I was so impressed by the book.I cannot recollect whether it was an abridged version or not,but I just remember being awstruck by the book.I liked every bit of it and when my mom told me that the author was a woman I was elated.Growing up,I heard about/read relatively fewer woman authors.Mom used to mention few Telugu Writers (Interestingly enough,I knew more about them than the English Authors I actually read)I read classics by the Bronte Sisters,I read Jane Austin,Enid Blyton (only The Naugtiest Girl in school series) and poems by Sarojini Naidu. For the longest time Sarojini Naidu was the only Indian-female author I read.Then my sister introduced me to JK Rowling (Since I have issues with my sister (or anyone for that matter) pestering me with things I actually skipped the first chapter of HP after the first two pages-which did not make much sense to me even after I re-read some four times.I did however,read them after I devoured the remainder of the book).And of course,the simple yet fabulous Jean Webster.
Su introduced me the Anne series (which I must admit I have not completed reading even though I have -atleast I think I have all the books.Reason,well I wanted to read them back to back but a dear dear school friend flicked a book -leading me to stick to a 'i don't lend books' policy'). And the two books I read I liked.
And of course, I like Diana Wynne Jones.
AGB,is a person whom I trust with recommendations for reading books.She was the reason I read 'The Hunger Games' trilogy.I enjoyed the books thoroughly.I have also realised,that intentionally or unintenionally.I land up choosing two female authors out the average of three books I borrow from BL.I'm sure as usual I am missing out some other favourites but this has already become an elaborate post.Recently a new friend suggested a translated story written my a South Asian author.I have yet to finish the story but I must say,the tense it is written in takes a little getting used to.
Here's to hopefully more reading this year.I did not read too in the second half of last year,hoping not to do the same thing this year!Don't get me wrong, I love reading but considering my reading pace and attention span,this will take a truck load of effort from me.Wish me luck :)
NO!
My word of the day is 'weltanschauung' (means a comprehensive world view).
I read 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' when I was in middle school.I loved the book.This was around the time my sister and me had bunk beds (My dad actually made them by connected two old styles beds,yes,my dad is that kind of crazy.And sadly for my sister and me,my dad never believed in things looking nice,he only believed in 'they work just fine'.I like the 'they work just fine part,but I like things to look cute/nice too.).But truthfully,I loved having a double decker bed! But unfortunately, we hardly got to keep them that way for too long,because I fell ill.And by the time I came back home after living with Ammamma for many many months and probably since I wasn't supposed to get physically exhausted the era of the ddb was over.I still dream of having them for my kids and then probably using them myself.
Anyways I as usual am connecting dots of thoughts to trace other memories.So yes, Uncle Tom's Cabin.I was so impressed by the book.I cannot recollect whether it was an abridged version or not,but I just remember being awstruck by the book.I liked every bit of it and when my mom told me that the author was a woman I was elated.Growing up,I heard about/read relatively fewer woman authors.Mom used to mention few Telugu Writers (Interestingly enough,I knew more about them than the English Authors I actually read)I read classics by the Bronte Sisters,I read Jane Austin,Enid Blyton (only The Naugtiest Girl in school series) and poems by Sarojini Naidu. For the longest time Sarojini Naidu was the only Indian-female author I read.Then my sister introduced me to JK Rowling (Since I have issues with my sister (or anyone for that matter) pestering me with things I actually skipped the first chapter of HP after the first two pages-which did not make much sense to me even after I re-read some four times.I did however,read them after I devoured the remainder of the book).And of course,the simple yet fabulous Jean Webster.
Su introduced me the Anne series (which I must admit I have not completed reading even though I have -atleast I think I have all the books.Reason,well I wanted to read them back to back but a dear dear school friend flicked a book -leading me to stick to a 'i don't lend books' policy'). And the two books I read I liked.
And of course, I like Diana Wynne Jones.
AGB,is a person whom I trust with recommendations for reading books.She was the reason I read 'The Hunger Games' trilogy.I enjoyed the books thoroughly.I have also realised,that intentionally or unintenionally.I land up choosing two female authors out the average of three books I borrow from BL.I'm sure as usual I am missing out some other favourites but this has already become an elaborate post.Recently a new friend suggested a translated story written my a South Asian author.I have yet to finish the story but I must say,the tense it is written in takes a little getting used to.
Here's to hopefully more reading this year.I did not read too in the second half of last year,hoping not to do the same thing this year!Don't get me wrong, I love reading but considering my reading pace and attention span,this will take a truck load of effort from me.Wish me luck :)
Comments
we take no returns.
@TK: :(
@Sudz: Re-read post child,I said 'I may have all the books in the series'.But will surely tell if any are missing.