As who have read this blog for a while or those who know me,should know that i am really short.In fact,in first class(standard) while we being taught about Pygmies and 'the normal human height',the class teacher (a very sweet lady) made me stand beside the tallest person in the class.Growing up,I have had disadvantages because of my height,but honestly the advantages have been more.
People tend to miscalculate my age.Some friends may argue that its not really only my height that makes people do this.But whatever be the reason,this happens to me.
Once,a couple of years ago,at the Bangalore Airport,the ground staff of the airlines i was about to check in,asked me 'Are you travelling alone?No adult accompanying you?' with a very polite smile.I said yes,and passed on id,which they went through and sheepishly returned.
Few years ago,my sister (who is only a couple of years older to me) and me were at M.G.Road Secunderabad,near the Gandhi Statue.She was getting her scooty out of the parking and I just got up onto the vehicle.One street vendor,started pestering my sister with the usual 'Buy this buy this buy this' routine.And then when he realised that she wasn't bothered,he looks at me and says 'Mummy ko bolo na khareedney ko'
As if she would buy anything after that.
Ok,now in the previous two incidents,I was pretty young.And they were times after this where people had asked both me and my sister as to who was the older one among as.
Recently,a group of friends had gone for 'Tintin' the animated movie and we had some time to velafy before the movie started.And then on of the friends sitting there replied to something I said saying 'You are like a kid,I look at you and see a kid' I had half the mind to tell him that I,in fact was older than EVERYONE sitting at that table.But then kept quiet.This was a very small incident.Even if it is me saying so.
Now during degree,we did a project of having to study a 1000 case studies of genetics.This led to us having a pretty decent knowledge about the women's reproductive sytem.Considering even our M.A documentary project was on the same lines (though it was a disaster),I am pretty open to such conversations,as long as the person doesn't get cheap or the person whom I am talking to is embarassed.
So going with afore mentioned friend to the gynae wasn't really a big deal.After wondering which gynae to go to (I knew two,she knew two) we went to her Mom's old gynae.While we waiting for the few minutes outside her consultancy room,we briefly about how this Dr.PC looked like a strict person (though coming to think of it 'stern' would have been a closer adjective to use).
After that,it was Po's turn.We entered,and after a small introduction/catching up.The doctor looks at me and says 'You go out ma'.I left the room and burst into a mild round of laughter outside.The tone she used,is the one used for kids.Then after consulting the doctor,Po comes out and I ask her 'Was I kicked of because she thought I was under-age?' Po says (with an almost surprised look on her face) 'Yes.She asked me my age and then asked if you were my uncle's daughter.I said no,she is a friend from L.K.G (which my dear,isn't true,we have been friend only from 1st class :P)So Dr.PC says 'She is the same age as you?(with apparently a very surprised expression'
After this,I told Po,you should have told her that I am,in fact,older to you.
Well.That was part of my day ladies and gentlepeople.
May the randomness of my life rub into yours,or may you just get addicted to my randomness.That way,even you dont like it,youll need it :P
(These days whenever I think of addictions i remember this : 'Miss Lucy sahi kehti hai,aadatey agar waqt par na badli jaayen,zarooratey ban jaati hai'-Chutki,DDLJ'
People tend to miscalculate my age.Some friends may argue that its not really only my height that makes people do this.But whatever be the reason,this happens to me.
Once,a couple of years ago,at the Bangalore Airport,the ground staff of the airlines i was about to check in,asked me 'Are you travelling alone?No adult accompanying you?' with a very polite smile.I said yes,and passed on id,which they went through and sheepishly returned.
Few years ago,my sister (who is only a couple of years older to me) and me were at M.G.Road Secunderabad,near the Gandhi Statue.She was getting her scooty out of the parking and I just got up onto the vehicle.One street vendor,started pestering my sister with the usual 'Buy this buy this buy this' routine.And then when he realised that she wasn't bothered,he looks at me and says 'Mummy ko bolo na khareedney ko'
As if she would buy anything after that.
Ok,now in the previous two incidents,I was pretty young.And they were times after this where people had asked both me and my sister as to who was the older one among as.
Recently,a group of friends had gone for 'Tintin' the animated movie and we had some time to velafy before the movie started.And then on of the friends sitting there replied to something I said saying 'You are like a kid,I look at you and see a kid' I had half the mind to tell him that I,in fact was older than EVERYONE sitting at that table.But then kept quiet.This was a very small incident.Even if it is me saying so.
Now during degree,we did a project of having to study a 1000 case studies of genetics.This led to us having a pretty decent knowledge about the women's reproductive sytem.Considering even our M.A documentary project was on the same lines (though it was a disaster),I am pretty open to such conversations,as long as the person doesn't get cheap or the person whom I am talking to is embarassed.
So going with afore mentioned friend to the gynae wasn't really a big deal.After wondering which gynae to go to (I knew two,she knew two) we went to her Mom's old gynae.While we waiting for the few minutes outside her consultancy room,we briefly about how this Dr.PC looked like a strict person (though coming to think of it 'stern' would have been a closer adjective to use).
After that,it was Po's turn.We entered,and after a small introduction/catching up.The doctor looks at me and says 'You go out ma'.I left the room and burst into a mild round of laughter outside.The tone she used,is the one used for kids.Then after consulting the doctor,Po comes out and I ask her 'Was I kicked of because she thought I was under-age?' Po says (with an almost surprised look on her face) 'Yes.She asked me my age and then asked if you were my uncle's daughter.I said no,she is a friend from L.K.G (which my dear,isn't true,we have been friend only from 1st class :P)So Dr.PC says 'She is the same age as you?(with apparently a very surprised expression'
After this,I told Po,you should have told her that I am,in fact,older to you.
Well.That was part of my day ladies and gentlepeople.
May the randomness of my life rub into yours,or may you just get addicted to my randomness.That way,even you dont like it,youll need it :P
(These days whenever I think of addictions i remember this : 'Miss Lucy sahi kehti hai,aadatey agar waqt par na badli jaayen,zarooratey ban jaati hai'-Chutki,DDLJ'
Comments