...scenes of our youth
and a 150 year old landmark.Biting the dust.
Its a fact.
I will never be able to get over this one,i know it for sure.
I am sure this is the state of mind of lot of my fellow annites.But well i speak for myself mainly.
I loved my school and i most definitely will till i breath my last.I cherish every moment i have had there,even the times i got kicked out of class (thrice,out of which twice was with the entire class :) )
Inspite of the comments about it being jail (the grey and cream colours of the walls always made us wonder..WHYYYYY!!)
But now those walls dont remain,most of them. I studied in this school for twelve years. The kindergarten section was re-built while we were in school and we were very happy about it because the building we studied in was very old.And now 6 more of the classrooms i spent a year each in are no more.(Soon will be a tar road and nothing more).
There will be no class rooms facing SP Road,not one.No Priya Monteiros will be able to comment on cute guys walking on the street or line maro vendors across the road. The Stinking fish truck will not bother any one.

Courtesy of Pic,the very very very dreary and formal looking website of my school! google st. ann's high school.
The demolition of this building led to the construction of a huge one inw aht used to be our games field and music room.
Most of my school as i knew it has become history and nothing more.It exists in our memories and as 2d images on print and maybe video.I cannot show my nieces and nephew or children if i have any how my Mum showed us.
Only four of the 12 classes i studied in exist,The entire middle and high school classrooms of the SSC section are poof...gone!
Now to the part that bothers me the most,that breaks my heart.
The reason behind the demolition and why I think it was barbaric.
Road widening for a particular herculean inner ring road project and the upcoming metro rail project (though helping the public transport system,the later is going to cause big time environmental damages to our city).All this was triggered of by an accident that killed a three year old girl right in front of our school.Our school was blamed for it and well thats the reason "they" said that the road had to get wider. (Although there is a foot over bridge there now).Also,i mean no ill to the poor kid who died.
The irony is that everything in and around our school....from other schools which belong to the Catholic Schools Association,to the shops,to marredpally and alllll other civilization came up because of our school.A group of Nuns came down from Italy and started this school in 1871.Then the sole building in around these parts was that of our school.Slowly because of this so many other schools and institutes sprouted. It was not like no one studied or lived around before,but it was solely responsible for so many cultures around.Our school claims to have famous Almuni...non of them even came to the school's rescue at the time of need.
People like Rakesh Sharma,Tejdeep Kaur Menon and so many others.No use.
And compensation,for so much land and so many memories shattered,school apparently got paid rupees 1.19crores which does not account for anything.
Being an Annite was a thing of Pride right from my Mom's time through Akka's and mine. (Chitti,Amma,D,Akka,Aisi,Chinnu and Me....seven from the same family studied here)
This feeling of utter helplessness and the proximity to school.The fact that i will see walls and tar in place of the historical monument.I will cry a little everyday.I will pray that i am strong and overcome this helpness,sooner or later.In life.
Pray.And nothing else i can do.I am as helpless as the school authorities.
I am upset,i have the right to be.Just like all my fellow annites.
I am sorry i did not do anything.
I always will be.
To add to all this,I tell Rika i wanted to go to school one last time (before all this),but didnt dare to go alone.She tells me,go with your sister.And that hurt,not only becuase Icy is far away but that Rika actually thought it was funny.
and a 150 year old landmark.Biting the dust.
Its a fact.
I will never be able to get over this one,i know it for sure.
I am sure this is the state of mind of lot of my fellow annites.But well i speak for myself mainly.
I loved my school and i most definitely will till i breath my last.I cherish every moment i have had there,even the times i got kicked out of class (thrice,out of which twice was with the entire class :) )
Inspite of the comments about it being jail (the grey and cream colours of the walls always made us wonder..WHYYYYY!!)
But now those walls dont remain,most of them. I studied in this school for twelve years. The kindergarten section was re-built while we were in school and we were very happy about it because the building we studied in was very old.And now 6 more of the classrooms i spent a year each in are no more.(Soon will be a tar road and nothing more).
There will be no class rooms facing SP Road,not one.No Priya Monteiros will be able to comment on cute guys walking on the street or line maro vendors across the road. The Stinking fish truck will not bother any one.

Courtesy of Pic,the very very very dreary and formal looking website of my school! google st. ann's high school.
The demolition of this building led to the construction of a huge one inw aht used to be our games field and music room.
Most of my school as i knew it has become history and nothing more.It exists in our memories and as 2d images on print and maybe video.I cannot show my nieces and nephew or children if i have any how my Mum showed us.
Only four of the 12 classes i studied in exist,The entire middle and high school classrooms of the SSC section are poof...gone!
Now to the part that bothers me the most,that breaks my heart.
The reason behind the demolition and why I think it was barbaric.
Road widening for a particular herculean inner ring road project and the upcoming metro rail project (though helping the public transport system,the later is going to cause big time environmental damages to our city).All this was triggered of by an accident that killed a three year old girl right in front of our school.Our school was blamed for it and well thats the reason "they" said that the road had to get wider. (Although there is a foot over bridge there now).Also,i mean no ill to the poor kid who died.
The irony is that everything in and around our school....from other schools which belong to the Catholic Schools Association,to the shops,to marredpally and alllll other civilization came up because of our school.A group of Nuns came down from Italy and started this school in 1871.Then the sole building in around these parts was that of our school.Slowly because of this so many other schools and institutes sprouted. It was not like no one studied or lived around before,but it was solely responsible for so many cultures around.Our school claims to have famous Almuni...non of them even came to the school's rescue at the time of need.
People like Rakesh Sharma,Tejdeep Kaur Menon and so many others.No use.
And compensation,for so much land and so many memories shattered,school apparently got paid rupees 1.19crores which does not account for anything.
Being an Annite was a thing of Pride right from my Mom's time through Akka's and mine. (Chitti,Amma,D,Akka,Aisi,Chinnu and Me....seven from the same family studied here)
This feeling of utter helplessness and the proximity to school.The fact that i will see walls and tar in place of the historical monument.I will cry a little everyday.I will pray that i am strong and overcome this helpness,sooner or later.In life.
Pray.And nothing else i can do.I am as helpless as the school authorities.
I am upset,i have the right to be.Just like all my fellow annites.
I am sorry i did not do anything.
I always will be.
To add to all this,I tell Rika i wanted to go to school one last time (before all this),but didnt dare to go alone.She tells me,go with your sister.And that hurt,not only becuase Icy is far away but that Rika actually thought it was funny.
Comments